Sunday 13 March 2016

"Billy Yank" at the "Guerriers du Marais"

I am honoured to report that I have been accepted into "Les Guerriers du Marais" ("the warriors of the marshes"), a French wargames club in Carentan. I happened to be in Normandy and took the opportunity to get in touch and go along for a game.

The day's entertainment was an American Civil War battle using "Billy Yank", a French ruleset that was published in Vae Victis in 1997. Didier aka "Kid Dynamite" laid on a nice mobile scenario in which he and Pierre with a Federal division were racing parallel to me and Jean-Louis aka "Texas Reb" with our Confederate division, to seize a village at a crossroads. The figures were lovingly painted 20mm plastics, each representing a named historical regiment with a distinctive uniform: McClellan's Zouaves, Berdan's Sharpshooters, Cherokee cavalry ... Playing a division-sized game with 20mm figures made a refreshing change from my usual BBB fare! It was a good-looking table and a tough scrap in which my brigade acquitted itself well, and I think we were holding our own against the dam' Yankees, though unfortunately I had to leave a little before the battle was concluded.

Standin' up for states' rights

Apart from the excellent company of my very hospitable fellow gamers, another highlight of the day was a delicious lunch at the local creperie. Wargaming French-style - I could get used to this!

As well as ACW, the guerriers tell me they play Saga, Victory at Sea, Bolt Action, and Dead Man's Hand. At the moment they're preparing 6mm armies for the 950th anniversary of the battle of Hastings later this year. I hope I'll get another chance to visit Carentan some time for more good company, fun games and fine dining.

For the sake of the year's tally, let's call this ACW game a draw. Total for 2016:

Played: 8
Won: 6
Drawn: 1
Lost:1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!